We are past the days when the most effective ways of promoting your brand and products were newspaper and billboards. No business can thrive in the current competitive market unless it markets its products and services online. Therefore it is essential to create the right digital marketing strategy if you want to succeed.
Most consumers like making online purchases because of the high level of convenience that comes with this platform. It allows them to shop from the comfort of their homes or even while on transit. It means that your brand will remain irrelevant if it does not have the desired online presence.
The market has a long list of digital marketing options. As a result, trying to figure out the best starting point can be downright panic-inducing or stressful.
Some practical tips on how to create a digital marketing strategy:
The kind of strategy that you choose depends on the nature of your audience. Therefore, you need to choose carefully before you even make the first step. Continue reading to get the best insights on this topic.
1. Determine What You Want Your Digital Marketing Strategy to Accomplish:
You cannot develop a digital marketing strategy unless you have specific goals. The first thing is to determine what you would like to accomplish. Maybe you want to generate more leads, build your brand name recognition, generate more email subscribers, or get more sales.
Goals are the value that you would like the digital marketing strategy to add to your business. Therefore, make sure that you name what you would like from the campaigns. It will help you to remain on the right track from the beginning to the end.
You can compare marketing to the experience that you get from online dating. If you go for several dates without a clear picture of what you want, you can settle down with the first individual you think you can tolerate.
However, if you make a list of the traits you want in a successful candidate, it will increase your chances of getting a perfect match. Once you know your digital marketing goals, you will undertake the desired steps that will assist you in achieving them.
Therefore, it is good to understand your goals for digital marketing before you can move further. Once you have a clear picture of your aspirations, it will guide the whole process of creating your online marketing strategy.
2. Understand Online Sales Funnel:
The online sales funnel is a crucial element that you need to understand before you develop your digital marketing strategy. It comprises of the various steps that a buyer will go through before he purchases your products or services or becomes a long term customer.
The way you will number these stages may vary depending on who you ask. The actual name that you give to the various stages can also vary from one professional to another. However, they generally comprise of the following;
- Discovery: At this stage, individuals will hear of your product or brand for the very first time in their life.
- Consideration/Research: At this point, people have recognized established some brand name recognition. The users are willing to have a look at your products or services so that they can learn more. Some of the buyers may research what your competitors have to offer at this stage.
- Purchase: The Users are now willing to become actual customers at purchase what you have to offer at this point.
- Loyalty: The repeat customers will become loyal to your product or brand and may end up becoming your brand advocates in the long run.
A user who is at the discovery stage will respond differently from the one who is at the loyalty stage. These users interact with your brand using different platforms and in different ways. Therefore, you have to keep this in mind as you create your digital marketing strategy.
3. Create Buyer Personas:
The next thing you need to do while creating a digital marketing strategy is to have a solid understanding of your target audience and their motivating factors. This information is crucial as it will help you to evaluate the marketing platforms where you can get them.
Also, you know how the audience will interact with the marketing platforms and their expectations from your brand. You have to be careful while buying buyer personas so that you cannot miss out on any point.
One thing you need to understand is that buyer personas have to be specific. You cannot state a phrase like ‘young mothers’ as your buyer persona and stop at that point.
You may go for;
“Supermom Ann, 26-30 with at least one child under the age of six who are operating on a budget with a middle-class household. She is trying to be the best wife and mother but discovers that her satisfaction is working. She is trying to lead an organic lifestyle. But are McDonald’s open on busy weeknights.”
With this information, you will get a clear picture of your audience. You will get to understand the audiences’ pain points and what your brand can offer.
One thing you need to understand is that you should base your buyer personas on research. Avoid the thinly-veiled stereotypes that are common and use the available analysis from Facebook Audience Insights and Google Analytics, among others.
4. Establish Where You Will Get Your Users at all the Funnel Stages:
By now, you have a clear understanding who your target audience is and their expectations. The next step is to understand where and how you will connect with them. You need to refer to your analytics on this matter and then cross-reference them with the personas of your buyers.
Suppose you are running a home renovation brand. You are doing everything from giving people their dream kitchen to the repair of water-damaged floors. There is a high possibility that you will require a diversified audience at all the stages of the funnel that are looking to get you.
Here are some examples of the possible actions they may undertake;
- An individual who is taking a lot of time to plan for an expensive bathroom remodeling project may Google a phrase such as “bathroom design ideas” to get your brand or search on Pinterest. If they get a post that has images of your past projects, they may discover you and even hire your services.
- A homeowner whose property floods after a leaking pipe will be searching for a professional ‘right now” to fix the floor before mold can grow. You can easily connect with such customers through Google Ads because they will be shopping for the services, and you need a competitive edge.
- The customer may be okay with the rundown bathtub but lack sufficient funds to fix the problem. If you run a Facebook Ad that shows you offer high-quality glazing tubs and refinishing tiles at the most affordable rates may create a demand for a person who was not ready to consume your services.
- A previous customer is happy with your work of installing recessed lighting in his home. You can follow up via email and inform them that you are running a special offer on the upgrades of home security and they will get in touch.
Consider all the organic and paid marketing channels and think about the audience members use them and the stage they are in your funnel. It will help you to establish the marketing platforms you should be using and the right people to target in every section of the digital marketing strategy.
Read more: How to Grow Your YouTube Channel
5. Implement Particular Guidelines to Reach Your Digital marketing Strategy Goals:
You have selected your marketing mix, and you have a clue of how your audience may react. After doing this, you can try everything together and create particular tactics that will assist you to actualize the end goals.
Here are some of the tactics to use for your digital marketing strategy;
- Place lead magnets or lead generation widgets of the sides of all your blog posts together with featuring a CTA at the bottom of your content to help you get in touch.
- Share the content of influencers on social media to help you increase brand recognition and visibility and build a relationship. This step is crucial when developing a digital marketing strategy irrespective of your niche.
- Use email plugins that you can put on your website to encourage testimonials. You may also request your current users to submit reviews on Google business to help you improve your local scores on SEO.
Remember, specificity is crucial when working at this point in your digital marketing strategy. Map out the specific steps that you will be taking to achieve your goals.
Go beyond the traditional practice of writing blogs to attract leads. Include the CTAs and link back to a webinar or lead magnet until you begin to get the desired results.
6. Incorporate Personalization and Automation:
As your campaigns get up and running, you will want to get ways of making them as effective and impactful as possible. There are two practical approaches to this which include more automation and personalization. In most cases, these two elements can overlap.
In some instances, your target audience will receive the most seemingly relevant and personalized marketing messages because of specific actions. It includes the ads that use retargeting to show users the products they have viewed on your website.
The other ones are triggered auto-responders that show your clients products that are similar to what they have seen in the past. It is one of the best ways to get the most from your digital marketing strategy.
Whenever possible, use automation, personalization, and audience segmentation in writing focused copy for the particular ground of individuals and the exact relationship they have with your brand.
The audience will see the message at the most appropriate time. With this in place, the marketing message will be relevant to their needs at that particular moment. These actions will take your digital marketing strategy a step further.
7. Look for Loopholes in the Digital Marketing Strategy:
Looking for holes or ‘troubleshooting’ is the final stage in the funnel. At this point, your digital marketing strategy is already up and running. You should carry out a careful evaluation of how your digital marketing strategy is running both in the short and long run.
This process can be tricky because it involves multiple campaigns, platforms, and elements. The best tool here is Google Analytics together with the native analytics of the channels and networks that you are using.
You need to evaluate the interaction between your leads and customers with your campaigns. You should also know how these interactions are helping you to achieve your goals. Readers may share your blog post more than 5,000 times within two days, but it will be meaningless if you did not get a single sale or lead.
The ultimate goal of any digital marketing strategy is to increase the sales and profitability of your brand. Check out behavior maps and step up your goals in Google Analytics. The insights you get will show you the drop off points in your digital marketing strategy.
You can implement this step with all online platforms. Besides, you could be getting so many clicks on PPC but with no conversions. People can also open your email, but there are no clicks. You need to understand why this is the case and take the necessary corrective actions.
Investigate where your users are dropping off and search for the tell-tale clues that could be causing this problem. You can gain more insights by running a few tests. The best digital marketing strategy will always yield the desired fruits.
The above strategy will help you to develop an effective digital marketing strategy. The most important thing is to discover where your audience spends most of their time online and target those platforms. You cannot use the wrong approach and expect to succeed. Take your time and do your homework well if you want to compete favorably in your industry.